Monday, November 30, 2009

Luggage For Foster Children!!




So after a sweet women from our church made and gave my sister over 65 handmade quilts from several women to be taken to our local CPS for foster children when they are taken from the home in the social service cars to be put in foster care!My sister's family delivered them today and I know she will be posting so that's all Ican say:) well I couldn't help but to think to myself "Lord how can I do more to help these precious foster children waiting for forever families"This is so close to home for me and after seeing Marilyn give those sweet and precious quilts to my sister I had to come home today from Lillie's therapy and look up the needs for children in the foster system and I came across another post on the same adoption site I has posted about"Should you Adopt?" and I read it and I want to start collecting luggage! and what this women had to say really touched my heart because when my niece and nephew came into there new home well several days later Wendy had picked up there belongings from the foster home they had been living and in one black trash bag was there clothing and in another black bag was there toys! I was thinking it doesnt have to be luggage Iam thinking even just hand bags that are like overnight bags or even duffel bags!Just something other then grocery bags or trash bags!

Foster children have to move fairly frequently. Some are lucky and don’t have to move often, but that’s not normally the case.
Many foster kids move with their things packed in garage bags, grocery bags, or whatever happens to be handy. I hate this, and I know many other people do as well. What a horrid message to send a child. Your life is garbage. You are garbage. You’re not worthy.
Sammy came with some of his things in suitcases, but most of it was in garbage bags, some things not packed and at all and so on. When Kory came, everything that he owned fit into a bag about the size of a garbage bag, but came from a retail chain around here called Fleet Farm. If you live in the Midwest you know that big orange back that I’m talking about. Hannah was a different story. She came with her life nicely packed. Love was put into this move. She helped to pack her things so it was done nicely.
When Kory and Mackenzie moved from our home, I very lovingly packed all their things into luggage. They were not going to move with their things in trash bags. They were worth more than that to me. I became very angry when I learned that my cousin’s wife dumped all their things into trash bags because it was “easier to pack into the car” and kept the luggage for herself. (Yes, I have blogged about my dysfunctional family before).
I’m not the only one who feels this way. details of how you can organize a collection for foster children just by A quick internet search will tell you where you can donate luggage, how to organize a drive, or what types of things you can donate. I love this headline from a commentary in Kentucky:
“Kids have baggage, they need luggage.”
Whether you call them bags, suitcases, luggage, or anything else, donate them to a foster child.


Sammy still has a hard side suitcase that was used when he moved here. I would never throw it out or donate it. It means a lot to him. He can’t verbalize why, but the fact that I know it’s important is what matters. It will be his whenever he moves out on his own as an adult.
Many social service agencies will accept donations of luggage or suitcases to help kids have appropriate things for packing their clothes and toys. If you have luggage that you do not need but it is still in good condition, consider donating it to a foster child or agency.
If you don’t know how or where to donate luggage, call your local social services agency. Do not just show up with a car load of bags. Most agencies do not have enough room to store what you might show up with. Be sure to ask first.
If you want to take things one step further, you can take a key from this article from Capital University. They took the luggage and hand painted it. They did the same thing in Decatur, Alabama.
Help a child move with dignity by organizing a drive, or making your own donation.


5 comments:

For His Glory said...

Awe, yes the moment I walked in to grab those bags I was a bit disapointed, but I actually hid them from the kids and brought the items out of the bag from my room instead. Not that it's the end of the world, but is that the best we can do in AMerica for peet's sake?!! I'm excited to see how God moves in hearts in this area! How cool!!

The Pichura Family said...

It's amazing just how many ways there are that we can help out! Thanks for giving us another idea...it helps to have eyes that are open wider to ways we can serve and minister and help!!!

Matt5verse6 said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you posted this!!! This is so dear to my heart (foster children having their stuff placed in trash bags instead of in luggage). I believe CASA takes donations as well. I remember one of the supervisors was trying to collect luggage at one time because she wanted the children to have it. The child for whom I advocated, their stuff never went from home to home. We had to keep replacing it. :( It was so upsetting. :( I'm so excited for your post! Hooray!

crystal said...

Aww brook Iam so happy to know this information and I am going to keep my eyes open for special luggage for these sweet children.Thank you for letting me know so I can better serve these children.That comment was a huge encouragement to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I see that your blog hasn't been updated in a while but I hope you get this message. I see that you have a child with EoE and live in Alabama. We live in Birmingham, have a son with EoE, and I run the Alabama Eos Disorder Support Group. I also work with APFED on political action in regards to Eos Disorders. My son is on an elemental diet and tube fed. If you would like to contact me, please do so at eosalabama@gmail.com
God Bless.